Dear Friend of the Keys:
I am reaching out to ask that you allow me the opportunity to serve you as your next Monroe County Commissioner. For those who know me, you can depend on continued delivery of efficient and effective government services. And, for the new friends I will meet during this race, I promise to explain the issues clearly and continue an open door policy and accessibility to me as your next Commissioner.
My wife, Cheryl, and I enjoy public service and we see it as an honor to give back to such a wonderful place as the Florida Keys. We’ve raised our kids here, owned separate independent and successful businesses and take out on our boat whenever we can to soak up the rich beauty and bounty of these incredible surrounding we call home.
I served nine years as Mayor of Key West during a time of unprecedented growth and renewal of our city. I am proud of our accomplishments. You might imagine that, during that time, I saw the ebb and flow of government and I settled in on my belief that while government is not a business, managing to live within our means with efficiencies that allow for a limit on taxes should be a requirement of elected officials.
In me, you will have a full time commissioner who enjoys working together to achieve common goals. My record and my promise is to:
- Protect our quality of life; the Keys are unique in character and some of the best living in America.
- Secure a healthy ecosystem and our natural resources that give back to us in so many ways with bountiful seafood, recreation and jobs.
- Prepare for sea level rise and build proper infrastructure to protect us from hurricanes and major storm events.
- Take a common sense approach to decision-making by planning properly for the future and saving funds for future projects.
- Understand the differences, concerns and issues of the municipalities and unincorporated areas of the Keys; we are not all the same and we need leadership that is open to the needs of many and not the few.
A benefit of my years as Mayor is to have successfully worked directly with the Governor, State Senators and State Representatives, U.S. Congress and Senators, FEMA leadership and the Small Business Administration. I will bring that experience and important contacts to the County Commission.
I want to leave you with one final thought. I like to think of myself as a unifier, one who enjoys bringing people together to tackle tough problems and to solve them in the public interest. That is my idea of a true public servant and with your trust I will work hard every day to meet your expectations as County Commissioner. I sincerely ask for your vote and support.
All my best.
Craig Cates, Candidate for
Monroe County Commission
- HONESTY and INTEGRITY
- Keep the Florida Keys clean and green
- Business approach with fiscal responsibility
- Live within our means
- Preserve our quality of life
- Treat all citizens respectfully
Craig CATES for County Commissioner
- Mayor Emeritus of Key West
- Raised 3 daughters in the Keys
- Local business owner for 24 years
- Current and past community involvement: Member of the Chamber of Commerce, Economic Development Committee, Military Affairs Committee, Key West Association of Realtors, Sunrise Rotary, Elks Club, Moose Club, Southernmost Car Club